The summer is all but over and we are only a little less than a month away from Valencia’s debut in the 2015/2016 edition of La Liga. We take a look at the latest news in the city of Turia.
First matches of the season decided
Valencia will make it’s official debut this season against a still unknown opponent the 18th or 19th of August in the Champions League playoff. As for the initial matches in La Liga, they will be played as follows:
Victory over PSV
Valencia reportedly gave a solid performance in the non-televised match against the Dutch team yesterday with Enzo Pérez as the best performance from what seems to be his new central defense position. Paco Alcácer was the 1-0 match winner in a game that aso saw new signings Danilo and Mathew Ryan perform well.
Valencia next few friendlies, all televised:
The Otamendi saga continues
The Argentine is expected to arrive in Valencia tonight after his special summer which was initiated by his agent’s claim through the microphones of Cadena SER that the player wanted to leave. Eugenio López did however not expect to meet such a hard stance from the club who planted themselves on the full 50 million of his clause. Last season’s best player will travel with the team to Germany. As Nuno put it: “Nico will arrive, present himelf and travel with the team on Monday”. Nuno is expected to have a sit-down with the player to convince him to stay and give his best, but wouldn’t confirm that yesterday; “I will talk to Otamendi, because I talk to all my players.” Valencia are still to receive any concrete offers for the player, although 5 teams are said to be interested.
The arrival of Mathew Ryan
Nuno did not leave much doubt of his plans after installing Ryan in the goal against PSV only days after he joined. The Australian will be the first choice. That of course will spark a debate over the two other goalkeepers currently in the first team squad. Yesterday it was Jaume who played some 20 minutes, but whether that is his last minutes or whether it means Yoel is the one on the verge of leaving is unclear at this point. Jaume has confirmed he has been in contact with Córdoba over a move, while several teams are said to hold an interest in Yoel.
One of the pending tasks for Nuno, the coach turned manager, is to find a destination for the Argentine. Appearing to be the last of 9 fighting for the front 3 positions and not having the best reputation, he has had interest from several teams. All of them, with Las Palmas and Deportivo leading the pack, seem though to be cautious over the still young player and interest has failed to materialize. Eibar is the last team to have shown an interest, but is apparently not a destination the player considers at the moment.
Rumors of another “bomb”
Last year Nuno’s famous words “a bomb of a player will arrive” sent speculation to another level in Valencia. The player turned out to be Álvaro Negredo, in theory a fantastic signing for the club that didn’t really work out. This year no such strong words have been used, but still there are whispers that especially if Valencia qualify for Champions League, Lim might pay up for a big name again. It is thought it would rather be a more defensive player than a striker this time, but everything is at this point speculation.
Özan Tufan – discarded
The Turkish player has been linked with Valencia for almost a year, and yesterday it was the player himself that confirmed that there had been talks of a Valencia transfer. Reports from the Turkish press had indicated Valencia had a 6 million euro offer rejected as the club wanted 8 million. The player affirmed that the move was now definitely off, most likely due to the decision of signing Danilo.